[meteorite-list] Fredericksburg meteorite and politics of science

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:34:48 -0700 (PDT)

Dirk, I have no idea, but it is clearly a personal
issue with Dr. Wasson. I gave them more than 500 grams
of a meteorite, I was never contacted again, or
thanked for that gift. I was further ignored for
nearly a decade when time and time again, I requested
data.
That there could be an argument about who was on the
meteorite first, well, this is the real world. Dr
Wasson had years to buy the meteorite. He did not, he
got angry when the owner decided to sell to me. I saw
the emails, asking time and time again that Dr. Wasson
make a decision on the meteorite, all unanswered.
Can ANYONE see a problem then, with me forking over
$100 bills, HUNDREDS of them, when the owner offered
the meteorite to me? Mr Wasson was then outraged that
I snatched the meteorite from UCLA! That is laughable.
So after I gave him for free something that I have
paid thousands for, he ignored me, and sat on the
information for years. This is true professionalism in
science right there!
Michael Farmer