[meteorite-list] Fusion crusts on stony meteorites

From: jbaxter112 at pol.net <jbaxter112_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 21:58:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Berndt et al.,

I thought you and the list members might find interesting a phenomenon
that was shown to me by Marcin Cimala. In cutting an LL5 he found areas
where thick crust had built up and actually incorporated within the crust
small angular fragments of relatively unaltered meteorite. Here are scans
of a slice I obtained from Marcin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/NWA2826LL528gmMarcinCimala.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/NWA2826LL528gmMarcinCimalacloseup.jpg

I assume that these fragments were dislodged late in flight while the
crust was still liquid but too late to be melted or thermally altered.

Best Wishes,
Jim Baxter