[meteorite-list] Fusion crusts on stony meteorites

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 22:31:46 -0500

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 03:14:41 +0100, you wrote:

>But I have no idea how thissmall fragments can jump into liquid crust in the air
>and they have stillsharp edges, not burned.
>
>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/CaneySprings/NWA2826LL528gmMarcinCimalacloseup.jpg

Okay, here's an idea-- the meteorite looks to be filled with cracks-- maybe heat
managed to flow through one of the pre-existing seams and get deeper into the
meteorite than it ordinarily would, and surround bits of the matrix from behind.
I know I have (and probably most of you have) fully-crusted individuals with
deep (but still crusted) grooves in them that apparently formed by burning into
cracks in the material.