[meteorite-list] CALIFORNIA-REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL GEOLOGIST FINDS HOBBY WITH EBAY

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:17:44 -0700 (PDT)

Ken and all,

How embarassing for geologists everywhere and another
general downer for serious meteorite people. This
stuff is frustrating and sad. I hate seeing people
ripped off.

My bristles go up everytime someone says: "I know it's
real 'cause I had a geologist look at it---"

As a career practicing geologist with over 10-years
college-level teaching on the side, I can assure you
that most geology curricula do not include ANY
significant training or information regarding
meteorites, much less, their identification.

It is true that we geologists see a lot of earth rocks
and are in a generally advantageous position to
recognize something out of the ordinary when we see
it, but I have described to this list before that in
well-intentioned nievete, I used to pass around some
fine SLAG pieces as examples of meteorites.

Everyone, please be advised that, in general,
professional geologists and geological academicians
know less about meteorites than list members! Anyone
reading this has been exposed to more meteorite
information on this list than any geologist gets in
multi-degree training unless they are involved in a
course of study specifically involving meteorites!

Cheers,
Norm
(http://tektitesource.com)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300094532355