[meteorite-list] Desiccants For Meteorites

From: AL Mitterling <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:33:18 -0500

Greetings all,

I am thinking of introducing a product to help keep meteorites dry. I'll
go into more details when I have the product ready for shipping.

I was wanting input from collectors about using some blue crystals (with
chloride) with white crystals. The idea is to know when to charge or dry
your desiccant. While it might seem a bad idea to use the blue crystals,
it has been my experience that they won't cause problems as long as they
don't come into direct contact with meteorites. I know of several large
collections that use this method and I myself have used it with no ill
effect. However collectors have the last say by buying a product or not
buying a product so your input is important.

There are other types of colors that can be used but I wanted to stay
away from those for fear of introducing something into the meteorites
that could cause problems. Using those other colors would require input
from scientists to verify that no harm would be transmitted or absorbed
into specimens. The blue white crystals don't seem to be a problem from
my understanding.

Perhaps when I am ready, some collectors would like to test the product
out for me.

Your turn.

--AL Mitterling