[meteorite-list] Petrographic Thin Section Maker

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2007 20:45:30 UT

Capt'n Blood:

I have never used ANY other thin section maker. Cost is way higher
than others, but product is vastly superior...He also takes MONTHS
to get things made ...

Good things do take time, as we all know. A superior product even longer!

Paul and others may also be interested in this piece of information:

Our very own Steve Schoner has also started producing his own thin sections.
So far I've only acquired one of these, the Potter TS + the 1.2-gram slice this
TS was cut from. To be able to say how professional Steve's thin sections are,
I would have to see several different TS, especially ones with lots of chondrules,
or ones with colorful crystals (brachinites, acapulcoites, etc.), ones with a lot
of delicate details, etc.

But, maybe, Steve would like to chime in and share his perspective!

As for Dean's TS, there was one advantage apart from the low price: the viewing area
was usually enormous, sometimes almost too big - but some were of mediocre quality,
others quite good whereas the ones David New sold were always of *superb* quality!

There was someone else who used to offer thin sections, and again, the price was tempting.
But when I complained about the proper thickness of several of these TS, the person I'm
talking about was very upset and angry. I promised him I would apologize, even in public,
if my complaint was unjustified. Soon after several of these TS were offered at reduced
prices on EBay and the information was correctly given that these thin sections had not
been ground to the proper thickness ... needless to say that I did not apologize!

Best wishes,

Bernd