[meteorite-list] meteorite "cutting"

From: Pamela Shireman <falling_star_woman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:02:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all:

Even though I am a "lightweight" in the meteorite world - I want to weigh in on the discussion going on right now concerning cutting meteorites.

I am the curator of the Woolard Hinkle Williams Meteorite Collection that belongs to the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. I can't imagine how boring this collection would be if all of the meteorites were just whole lumps. The cut, polished, and etched pieces are educational beyond belief. I could stand and talk all day about what is inside a meteorite - but, it would never make sense to the person on the street.

Take for example, the Delaware fall was a single specimen. Had Allan Shaw not cut the Delaware, we may not have the main mass right now in the WHW collection. UALR could never have afforded the whole meteorite. It would be a shame for a meteorite that fell in Arkansas to exist in one piece in one collection - and probably never seen by an Arkansan.

I also have a very small personal collection. And although my collection is small - I am very serious about it. I would never have been able to afford whole pieces of any significance. I'm a single mother with a passion for rocks from space, thanks to Robert Woolard and the late John Williams.

I recently added 3 pieces to my collection thanks to Robert and Mike Farmer. I can't describe the feeling when I opened the package and found my beautiful Vaca Muerta end piece, a funky SA shrapnel piece, and a small, non-descript, whole Canyon Diablo.

When my son's friends drop by the house - I get such a kick out of showing them my small collection. I watch them study the cut pieces with honest interest.

I love the look on their faces when I drop a 400 g mundrabilla in their hands - their eyes fly open - surprised at the weight of the chunk. And watch as they try their thumb in each one of the thumbprint indentions.

Then I take a small Allende, hold it up under the lamp, and turn it until they see a pop of light from the surface. "What is that?" they ask. I can't resist a wry smile as I drop it in their eager hands and tell them they are holding stardust and diamonds.

Then I show them a small sliver of the Delaware. There is just something about a rock from space landing in Arkansas, a few slivers coming to live in my collection, and then being touched by Arkansas kids. It "connects" them to space in a way you just can't fathom until you see the light in their eyes.

The most fun is when I tell them the Vaca Muerta is the Dead Cow meteorite - that always elicits a giggle, or five.

Imagine, teenagers accidently learning something! I can't wait until I can find a small etched piece to show "my" kids.

Never underestimate the value of the "learning opportunity."

If Michael Blood is buying the dust and slivers of cut meteorites and selling them in various ways - then I say "YOU GO DUDE!" What would you have folks do - just throw that material away? That would be a travesty.

Never cutting a specimen to reveal the beautiful and wonderous insides would be a travesty.

Never etching an iron to show the Weidmanstatten would be a travesty.

Some of you purists out there may not agree with my point of view. And those of you that don't - obviously NEVER introduced a child to their first meteorite.

Pamela Shireman