[meteorite-list] Polishing Chondrite Slices

From: PolandMET <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 22:39:10 +0200

> Actually I have found that mirror polished slices keep
> better than rough ones (though sometimes rough ones do show chondrules
> better..)

For this is a simple test.
Put some water on mirror polished slice and on slice with saw marks. In that
first piece water will not penetrate meteorite and will flow down like on a
window glass.
On second one meteorite will be wet.

Hint:
if You find on polished slice some rust, then You can remove it using
fragment very soft (1000, 2000grid) sand paper. Better if used sand paper
was used before for some grinding so he is more smooth and have only small %
of original ammount of grinding powder. Then softly polish rusty surface.
This will NOT MAKE any scratched on polished chondrite, but rust will be
removed safety. You can feel it using Your finger. Rusty area is rough and
repolished fragment is smooth again. Its better than polishing slice again
in water if it rusting.

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin at meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com marcin at polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com GSM +48(607)535 195