[meteorite-list] Greensburg Relief Effort

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 10:58:23 -0500

Hello all,

Rescue workers are back at the scene today. The weather still does not look
good, but we are no longer in full time weather coverage. More heavy
thunderstorms on the way in the Greensburg region, and other portions of
Kansas, which makes flooding a big threat at the moment.

Mal Bishop asked "My question is; how should I ask people to donate, or
where to send
donations? Could someone set up a special PayPal account to collect funds
for the relief, or should we just send donations to one of the list members
such as Maria, Mark, Steve, Geoff, or someone else?"

Interesting choice of names. The four of us, and others have been bouncing
e-mails.

Maria Haas noted: Our intent right now is to get some funds down there
quickly. In the next day or so we will finalize the details and let you know
about a fundraising raffle we are planning. It will be similar to the one
Geoff did for Katrina. Those of you who donate funds prior to us working out
the details will be included in the raffle.

I am accepting donations through my PayPal account at dragonsoup at
msn.com<mailto:dragonsoup at msn.com>. For those of you who prefer not to
use PayPal, you can send donations to me directly: Maria Haas, 410 Spring
Street, Saline, MI 48176."

So, we are going to have a Meteorite Community Greensburg Raffle. I will be
launching a web page shortly. Donations can besent to Maria, who will later
send out the items to the Raffle winners.

Sonny added "I would offer some slice of new Nevada meteorites for the
auction and a cash donation. We could have Steve and Mark place the money as
needed to the residents of Greensburg."

I am not sure if Steve will make into Kansas within the next few days or so.
  I can, of course, make my way over. Currently the place is I believe
somewhat locked up, and it was a ghost town yesterday except for resue
workers. A curfew was inforced until 9 or 10 this morning.

Anyway, I would like to thank everyone for their help with this, especially
our charity expects, Maria Hass and Geoff Notkin. As well as Sonny for
helping spur us together.

Stay tuned for more updates

Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas