[meteorite-list] 2007 WGMS Rock Show Recap

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 14:46:56 -0500

Hello all,

Thought I would post a little recap on how our local meteorite themed rock
show went.

Show attendance was an all-time record, beating the last high by over 500
people. Attendance to programs where 4-5 times the normal, Steve's was the
most packed, standing room only, while the Kansas Meteorite Society
presentation was a close second. We filled all the seats, Steve just had an
overflow. Usually only the first couple rows of seats have bodies in them.
The common belief in the upped attendance, meteorites.

I sat as an expert during Steve?s and the KMS presentation, the later I was
wearing my Renaissance costume, barely made it back in time, which seemed to
entertain the general public. I took my sword off ahead of time.

The McPherson Museum had a very nice display, and their curator, a man
excited about meteorites and Nininger in his mid 20?s, was a pleasure to
meet. I am sure we will work with them in the future.

John Schooler and his wife had an extremely large selection of hard to find
macro and micro mounts, as well as many fine minerals and fossils. He also
set up a very nice educational display. Check out his website if you have
the time. (www.schoolersinc.com)

The Big Well was at the show the first three days. We formed a partnership
with them to help make peridot from the pallasite meteorite the state
gemstone. The museum had since been collecting signatures and according to
an e-mail dated the evening of the tornado (to fellow KMS member Jerry
Calbert), everything was going well on their end. I have not heard from
anyone since and hope no one was in the building when it was hit.

At the show we put a ballot box on our table, and were interviewed by a
local television network, which made the evening news.

The Lake Afton Observatory , brought a nice collection of different Kansas
meteorites along with samples of basic meteorite classes. There program went
well.

Don Stimpson had a small display and sold samples of his meteorites. He
also had two meteorite postcards he made which I know will interest some of
you, such as Mike Jensen. These had a circle on them like an old popular
Meteor Crater postcard where Don put a piece of the meteorite?.prices
varied.

The KMS had a display including the Wichita meteorite.

In fact the show was such a success that we are likely going to squeeze
meteorites into the next show as well. We are thinking of going with the
peridot gemstone theme for it?.meaning could change anytime.

The Wichita Gem and Mineral Society in general has turned us into some of
it's star members, we have led or have been a part of pretty much all public
programs, advertisement, press releases and the like, since joining them.
With the WGMS connections, the Kansas Meteorite Society has had a larger
radio and television appearance, so this has been a win-win combination.

Thanks again to those that helped a little behind the scene and thanks to
those that attended..

Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
Wichita Gem and Mineral Society Member