[meteorite-list] Greensburg Fundraiser, Where the Money Is Going, Raffle Details

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:58:27 -0500

The following I am posting for Steve "Brenham" Arnold, who is still in
Greenburg.

Hey List,

Another night of rocking out at midnight at the top of the stereo during
Marshall Law in Greensburg. Just trying to make the best of a not-so-good
deal.

I am excited that we are getting a great fundraiser going for my neighbors.
I lost a house, but all my neighbors lost both their houses AND their homes,
and in many cases they lost much more.

Several of us have been talking about how we can best impact the City of
Greensburg the best way possible with a fund raiser. After talking with a
lot of locals, the overwhelming consensus is that people in Haviland say
that the Haviland State Bank's Relief Fund is the place to put it. They are
in touch with the people of the area who really need the funds.

Of course FEMA, the Red Cross and the United Way are here, but due to some
of their bureaucracies, not all of the money donated to them makes it to
Ground Zero. The people at Haviland State Bank have assured us that 100%
of the funds raised will go to people that need the money, sometimes people
that fall though the cracks that the bigger charities seem to miss.

So with our whole hearted conviction, we feel that you can rest assured that
you participation in the meteorite community fundraiser(s) will make the
biggest impact possible.

While we will get the money to the fund ASAP, we will attempt to make a
formal presentation of the total amount raised to the bank in a formal "Big
Check on Stage" at the 2007 Meteorite Festival in July. Of course we are
not doing this to make the meteorite community look good, we are doing it to
help people. But we want the neighborhood to know that they have friends
out in the world that care about them.

We have some great people working on this project, and of course some people
that participate are going to walk away with some GREAT meteorite specimens.

Kiowa County is one of the few places on this planet that cares about
meteorites. And what has happened over the years here has impacted in many
way ALL of our lives. Now is the time we can give back to a community that
has given so much to us. What happens in the next few days and next few
weeks will determine if people's lives come out of this with a positive
result or a negative result. We can, and we will make a difference. YOU
can make a difference.

We look forward to giving you updates as this rolls along.

You guys are the best. You all deserve a Harvey for this one!

Steve Arnold
308 S. Maple
Greensburg, Kansas 67054

(end)

I would also like to add that those that have donated funds already will
receive raffle tickets in value of their donation.

Also, Haviland has updated it's 2007 Meteorite Festival page a
little.(http://www.havilandkansas.com/id4.html)

You will be able to find more information on the Festival as we get closer
to it. I see on the linked gallery page with 2006 photos which includes an
image of me.

Clear Skies,
Mark