[meteorite-list] Hal Povenmire Contact Info?

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 12:28:44 -0700

on 5/12/07 11:24 AM, Mike Fowler at mqfowler at mac.com wrote:

> Before the ion microprobe, isotope analysis, and actual lunar samples
> for comparison, the lunar origin of tektites was tenable.
>
> Now it is not, and I wonder how someone who clings to a disproved
> hypothesis can be considered to be eminent in his field?
>
> Mike Fowler
> Chicago
---------
Hi Mike,
        Not to be argumentative, but to add some perspective,
1) "Disproved" is relative.
2) If everyone in science lost all credibility whenever their
perspective clashed with the majority of other scientists in
their field not only would there be a huge loss in the number
of scientists, but many of the greatest scientists in history
would have gone unheard (and many have, no doubt).
3) Some might consider your above statement to be based
in arrogance. Certainly it is founded in a narrow definition,
if not outright misconception, of what is and what isn't
"scientifically acceptable."
4) Some of the greatest figures of science clear back to the
Greeks held beliefs difficult to imagine. Freud, unquestionably
the "founder" of psychology dramatically over emphasized sex,
was himself a sexist & believed "psychoanalysis" was an effective
"treatment." (as a result, many still do, in spite of results of
comparative studies involving other forms of psychotherapy).
None of which makes the other 95% of Freud's work one whit
less monumental, any more than Plato believing in
spontaneous generation undermines his significance.
        Best wishes, Michael