[meteorite-list] "SNEAKY LITTLE DEVILS" NJO CONFIRMED METEORWRONG

From: Eric Twelker <twelker_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 13:50:18 -0800

This incident is a sad bit of commentary on the relationship of the
commercial meteorite community to scientists and, perhaps, on the state of
science in general. I was able to warn Dr. Delaney early-on that the object
was not a freshly fallen meteorite and to forward some of the correspondence
from this list to him. He chose not to heed the warning?which of course is
his choice to make.

Those of us who are lucky enough to have hundreds or thousands of meteorites
pass through our hands possess a store of knowledge that has real value to
academics that haven?t had this experience. Our knowledge is, for the most
part, available for the asking?or sometimes even without asking. The better
course for the scientist is to recognize when they need help and to resist
the notion of a divide between science and the commercial world. In my
experience, this is what the best scientists do.

Eric Twelker
http://www.meteoritemarket.com