[meteorite-list] Looking for hunting success story

From: Norm Lehrman <nlehrman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 19:01:37 -0700 (PDT)

Michael & all,

Here's a quick successful hunt story for you. I was
headed home from a project in rural Nevada about a
week ago and had a few hours to spare, so I dropped in
on a dry lake near the road home.

In two hours I had about 20 small fragments but huge
dust devils were circling me like a pack of wolves.
Several times I started to run for the truck for cover
when the storm just dissolved away. At one point I
looked up to check the threatening dust and to my
surprise, a pickup was emerging from the cloud. One
can go a week out here without seeing another soul
(except for the Navy boys streaking by overhead), so
it's always startling to meet someone like this. It
turned out to be Robert Verish and his wife, Beth.
Like me, they hadn't set out to hunt meteorites but
were passing by and couldn't resist. It turned out to
be a good day for all of us.

All up, I covered 4.9 kilometers on foot in a little
over five hours and recovered 58 stones, including one
with very fresh heavy fusion crust, certainly a
distinct fall from the others which were all visually
similar. Despite the fairly short day, this was a new
personal record for me. (Actually, I stopped at 60,
but two of them flunked closer inspection at home---).

Beth Verish found a very nice crusted nearly complete
individual about an inch in diameter and another
fairly big 20-30 gm piece (as well as a nice bunch of
smaller pieces). When I left, the Verishes were still
going strong and had a nice collection.

I individually photograph each piece in situ, take a
GPS fix, and bag each one with coordinates, date and
time. Taking the time required for this process into
account, I was finding a new specimen after every
three or four minutes of search time! Not a bad day!

Cheers,
Norm
http://tektitesource.com