[meteorite-list] Announcing a Major New Meteorite Website at UNM

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 19:03:36 -0700

Dear Listees:

Greetings all. I've been somewhat quiet on the List these past few
months, but I have a good excuse:

It is with great pleasure that I can today announce the completion of a
major new website for the Meteorite Museum at the University of New
Mexico's Institute of Meteoritics.

The University maintains an excellent small museum on campus, and I
know some of you have visited it. Plans for a new physical museum have
been drawn up, and the first step towards achieving that goal was the
creation of a modern, interactive website. The site includes the
following:

- A comprehensive animated Virtual Tour of the educational material
which the new museum will feature. This is a wonderful resource and
includes detailed information on the Solar System, comets, asteroids,
chondrites, differentiated meteorites, impact craters, the Moon, Mars
and a great deal more

- Architect's plans for the new museum

- An extensive gallery of new, original meteorite photographs from the
IOM collection

- A gallery of thin section photographs

- A guide to New Mexico meteorites

- Features on meteorite identification, teacher activities, and
microscopes

I had the privilege of working closely with Dr. Rhian Jones and Dr.
Barbara Cohen at UNM during the concept, design, and construction of
this site. Many of the best ideas came from them, and they contributed
to the genesis of the site in all areas. In particular, Rhian devised
the text and content for the Virtual Tour and Barbara designed many of
the banners and provided photos, graphics, as well as concepts for the
site structure. My senior design assistant Karl Covington executed the
animation, as well as image rendering, design, and typesetting, and the
final product benefited greatly from all their efforts.

I'd like thank Dr. Jones, Dr. Cohen and their colleagues for the
opportunity to serve as art director for this fascinating project and I
hope you will all enjoy the new site.

Here it is: http://epswww.unm.edu/meteoritemuseum/

Sincerely,

Geoffrey Notkin