[meteorite-list] Comet surprise makes it visible to naked eye

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 00:49:44 -0600

Hi, All,

    A good frosty cold front today, superclear skies, and
Comet Holmes just keeps getting bigger and bigger, more
obvious to the naked eye all the time. As a naked eye object,
it's about half the size of the Full Moon. In the 7-degree field
of my 7x50's, it looks like a gigantic dandelion seedhead.
It's hard to assign a magnitude to an extended object, but
I would say it's wonderfully BRIGHT.

Very little visible internal detail, background stars easily visible
through its delicate veil -- it's hard not to just regard it as an
aesthetic object, a giant geometrical abstract sculpture of light.
Sometimes the universe just wants to do a big gee-whiz-golly
object for us.

Here's pages and pages of pictures of Comet Holmes:
http://spaceweather.com/comets/gallery_holmes_page8.htm
That links you to page eight of thumbnails; there's a fine
shot by Ginger Mayfield if you scroll down. It's fascinating
how many different ways astrophotographers have found
of bringing out different aspects of the comet (since no one
photo can show them all).

A very clear and legible map that shows the path of Comet
Holmes as it makes its retrograde loop through Perseus
http://lunarplanner.com/Snippets/snippet.07.11.01-CometHolmes.html
(Even if the website is junk, the chart is well-done.)

The comet is heading for a close pass of Mirphak or Mirfaq
or whatever (alpha Persei). If I had the software, I could see
if the coma will "cover" the star or not (and the date, in
another week or so), but no way to know how big the coma
will be in a week.

On January 22, 2008, it will pass very near to Algol (beta
Persei), and if it still has a big fluffy coma then, we will
get a view of a bright "named" star through the coma.
A prescient individual might take a spectra of Algol before
and during this event and by subtraction, have a transmission
spectrum of the coma.

The comet does have a tail now, and inner and outer coma,
a nucleus, a bright jet, and all the usual features of a comet,
but the tail is angled away so we look at it on a 17-degree off-axis
line of sight, and the fine details are impossible without a really
big 'scope and good seeing. Here's a picture that shows all:
http://datastore.astrofoto.es/holmesmax.jpg
(Being 2000+ meters up in the mountains helps, too...)

Beautiful comet. Given its unique appearance and its unique
behavior, it would be ridiculous to try and apply the "usual"
rules of comet behavior (if there are any) to this one! So, who
knows what a week or a month or more will bring? Nobody
really. I hope it just keeps on growing and surprises us all.

Sterling K. Webb