[meteorite-list] Did a Collision Cause Comet 17P/Holmes'MysteriousOutburst?

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 03:48:15 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jerry, Sterling, and list:

Sterling. Have I done something wrong. I just got an error message stating
that "mailbox disabled for this recipient." L-

No pun intended, but the "solid theory" is actually a good one. I was
making comets in class yesterday and we tried getting pictures of me
popping film canisters (back in the dark ages cameras had this long
plastic stuff that you actually "loaded" into the camera and then, after
taking your pictures had to have them "developed"). It is very dramatic,
especially the Fuji film canisters that have a much tighter fitting top.
You put a little water a a small piece of dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide)
into it and close the top. The solid warms up, turns to gas and --- pop.
Like popping a champagne cork. It gets the students' attention. The top
actually slams off of our 15 foot class ceiling and lands well up the rows
of students.

At room temperature, solid carbon dioxide weighs 1.6 g/cc and the gas is
0.00198 g/cc. Therefore the volume change is over 800 times. If you try
holding that under the surface of a comet (even with temperatures a little
less) that builds up a lot of pressure --- a really big burp!

Why this comet seems to burp every hundred years or so rather than just
having a jet of material like any "normal" comet is something that I (or
probably anyone else at the moment) understands.

Larry