[meteorite-list] Is the "Perfect Chondrule" Carbonaceous?

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 10:12:26 EST

Hi list, I don't think publicly guessing at a classification is productive
as it tends to impact peoples understandings and collections in a more
permanent way than the later corrections. However, I need to address this to who
ever might be interested.

I have about 35 Kg. of material that has been nick named "Perfect Chondrule"
because of some of the cool chondrule micrographs I had taken of it.

Recently, Matt sent me this email. (There were others as well)

"Hi Tom,

I see that Steve Arnold (Chicago) is selling the 'perfect chondrule' stones
you
sold him (
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290177496876
). Do you still have some of this material available and if so how much is
it?

Secondly how much truth is there in his claim that 'PIECES HAVE BEEN SENT TO
MARC FRIES AND JOHN KASHUBA.BOTH ARE PRETTY SURE THAT THIS IS PROBABLY A VERY
UNIQUE CO3 CARBENACEOUS CHONDRITE'?

Thanks,

Matt."

I sold some of the material to both Steve and John prior to Marc Fries
requesting a sample for examination. Marc has found carbon in the Raman
Spectrometer testing he has done and the chances are likely it is carbonaceous. Marc
has been very helpful and I think he is a great guy. He said these are
preliminary observations and should not be considered "Classification".

John Kashuba has been a great help to me in speeding along classification.
He had multiple thin sections produced and sent one to me for imaging as well
as hand delivering one to ASU. (Thank you John!) John has not publicly
guessed at what that classification will be. John is deliberate and cautious.
He would not make pronouncements like that.

This material is still unclassified.

It's cool that Steve said what he did and he is welcome to sell any thing he
owns (and I will watch for what it sells for) but I felt some clarification
was in order.

Tom Phillips