[meteorite-list] Since Scale Cubes are a topic today

From: Drake <monel_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 17:29:00 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net>
To: "Mike Bandli" <fuzzfoot at comcast.net>; "'Delbert Waterbury'"
<paseclipse at yahoo.com>; <Meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:20 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Since Scale Cubes are a topic today

> Hi, All
>
> I hate to sound a sour note, but these "artifacts" are
> for SCALE, not measurement. I think it's wonderful
> that folks make them accurate to +/- 0.001 inch or
> millimeter, out of materials with low coefficients of
> expansion, and so forth, but that is purely an exercise
> in personal perfectionism.

<snipped for brevity>

Actualy, I made them to +/- 0.00015 ;-)

But your are right, scale is not a NIST traceable measurement. It's more of
a concept. But still... you can't be too accurate. :-)

Drake

"A rock pile ceases to be a pile of rocks,
the moment one contemplates it
and envisions a cathedral."

Drake "Doc" Damer?u
L3CC Member