[meteorite-list] Leigh Anne DelRay

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 22:39:22 -0800

Bill, All,

I just checked the thread: the claims against Leigh-Anne were
unsubstantiated, and, seeing as she is a well-regarded member of this
community (by most), I would suggest that list members not spread
about such rubbish unless they have evidence to back it up. Saying
that there was an odd bidding history on one item means nothing when
put next to the subsequent years that she's spent amongst us,
especially when there was no real evidence supporting the fact that
she actually did shill it.

People mess around on ebay - take, for example, the Photographic
Catalogue of Antarctic Meteorites that recently sold on ebay. A few
seconds before the end, a bidder put in $999.99. That's perfect
shilling strategy (say the other high bidder puts in $1000, even,
they'll be forced to pay the maximum amount), and yet, no one either
noticed nor cared. Some people just don't think through what they're
doing or understand ebay when they're placing bids. That's just the
way it goes.
I've seen many a crazier thing on ebay - take, for example, the
occasional NWA that goes for $1/g. Going market price for average
NWA's is between four and five cents per gram - ~1/20 of the amount.
Some people just happen to surf ebay and come across a piece of space,
something that they never thought that they could own before, and they
decide that they want it. Some of them happen to be...not so smart
when it comes to bidding.

The general consensus at the time (three years ago) was that Bill was
wrong in his accusation, and yet he continued to try to sully
Leigh-Anne's name even after this was decided.
I see no reason to try to convince Bill that he's wrong; after three
years of remaining fixed on this, I don't think I'm going to be able
to change his viewpoint, but the least I can say, Bill, is this:
Even if you did think that someone - anyone - had done such a thing,
it was $350 - and it was three years ago. Get over it. You have no
right to post such ridiculous and unsubstantiated libel on here (never
mind three years later, after the issue has been resolved), especially
when something as horrible as this comes up.

Jason