[meteorite-list] Rosetta gravity assist flyby

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 05:36:33 -0800 (PST)

Hello List
  Larry is right. This was not a screw-up of any
person or group, they performed diligently within the
given parameters. It could be called though, and I
think Larry would agree, a mild screw up of the
system. There should be heliocentric elements updated
as there are Earth orbital elements. This problem has
been going on for some time. Back in the 1970's , when
the Satellite Situation Report was a distributed
printout, it listed heliocentric objects as merely
"Heliocentric Orbit". I wrote to the guy in charge for
more specifics. The letter came back listing every
object I inquired about, with simply the words
"Heliocentric Orbit" beside it.
  Certainly active heliocentric spacecraft such as
Rosetta should be right there with elements.
  I suspect there is an additional problem. I cannot
imagine the DOD software/database did not know Rosetta
was coming in. But the walls of secrecy are up, and
the phone lines are therefore down. It used to be
there was a lot of scientists doing a lot of secret
work who were also active publishing academic work.
They would instantly know. But this is increasingly
not the case.

Francis Graham
KSU

http://blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives/2007/11/alarm_astronomers_in_a_spi