[meteorite-list] Rosetta gravity assist flyby

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:39:04 -0700 (MST)

Hi Sterling, et al.:

The "asteroid" (Rosetta) was discovered near midnight on November 7 and
was confirmed the next night at 2 other sites.

I did a calculation of size vs magnitude for the "asteroid" at discovery.

Its H magnitude (how bright it would be at 1 astronomical unit, 1 AU, from
the Earth) was 26.3. That would make it 23 meters in diameter with a 10%
reflectivity (gray). The darkest asteroids reflect 5% of the light the
hits them which would give a diameter of about 30 to 35 meters.

At the time of discovery, it was 0.04 AU from the Earth (about 6,000,000
km) was magnitude 19.7 (about 1,000,000 times fainter than the faintest
stars one can see with the naked eye) and was moving at a little less than
2 arc-minutes a day (mostly north to south).

The diameter of the Moon is 30 arc-minutes (1/2 degree) for comparison. It
turns out that the main belt asteroid Ceres was in the same area of the
sky and was moving about 1/2 as fast north to south, but 15 times faster
west to east at this time. Why the difference? Ceres is moving in its
orbit around the Sun while Rosetta was aiming right at the Earth (nearly
so), so even though is was much closer to Earth, it was going almost
directly toward us! (if an object is getting brighter but with no apparent
motion, duck!)

The whole idea behind discovering Earth-approaching asteroids is to find
them not when they come by the first time (not much you can do about them)
but to get an "early warning" for when it might be coming by the next
time, as in the case of Apophis. For comparison, I think that Apophis was
moving at several degrees a day at the time of discovery. At that point
you have a chance to do something about it (beyond just running for
cover).

So, to answer Sterling's question, VN84 was not discovered because of its
fast motion OR brightness, but more for how slow it was moving west to
east relative to its north-south motion! I will try to track this down.

Larry