[meteorite-list] Metal detector and Tucson collecting advice requests

From: Frederick J. Wallace <fjwallace_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:14:23 -0500

Hi,
I'm a science teacher and have been collecting meteorites for decades
and have amassed a wonderful teaching collection. The one thing I
haven't done yet is search for my own meteorites and I'd like to do that
now. I visited the White's dealer in CT and he recommended the MXT or
DFX models and I wondered what people thought of those models compared
to the more highly recommended Gold Master model. It doesn't appear that
there is much difference between models but I'm sure there is some. All
models seem capable of detecting iron and nickel as well as other
minerals found in meteorites. I'd like to get the best model I can
afford for the job so if I don't find anything I don't have to blame it
on the detector. I majored in Geology and did quite a lot of field
collecting and work and am really looking forward to trying my hand at
this. I also will be traveling to Tucson, AZ to visit relatives in a few
months and hoped that if you have searched for meteorites near Tucson
you might be willing to e-mail me about your experiences and share
location info. and/or advice.
Thanks for any help you can give!
Jon Wallace
fjwallace at snet.net