[meteorite-list] Cosmic Collisions -movie

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:31:51 -0600

Dear Listees,

Anyone seen this and kind enough to comment? Tickets are a steep $26 but
are really just a piggybacked admission included with a visit to the
American Museum of Natural History (where, besides the Willamette mass,
etc., three Cape York meteorites are on display: 31-ton "Ahnighito", 2.5-3
ton "Woman", and 407-Kg "Dog"
http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent/meteorites/media/real/capeyork.ram
 )

Best Wishes and Great Health
Doug

http://www.amnh.org/rose/spaceshow/cosmic/

The breathtaking new Space Show, Cosmic Collisions, narrated by
award-winning actor, director, and producer Robert Redford, is now showing,
at the Hayden Planetarium in the Frederick Phineas and Sandra Priest Rose
Center for Earth and Space.

A spectacular immersive theater experience, Cosmic Collisions launches
visitors on a thrilling trip through space and time-well beyond the calm
face of the night sky-to explore cosmic collisions, hypersonic impacts that
drive the dynamic and continuing evolution of the universe. Groundbreaking
scientific simulations and visualizations based on cutting-edge research
developed by Museum astrophysicists, scientists at the National Aeronautics
and Space Administration (NASA), and other international colleagues-many
seen for the first time-depict the dramatic and explosive encounters that
shaped our solar system, changed the course of life on Earth, and continue
to transform our galaxy. The new show explores the full range of space
collisions, past, present, and future.

Viewers will witness the violent face of our Sun, imaged by NASA satellites,
that produces enormous ejections of material from our star towards our
planet. The resulting subatomic clashes, as streams of charged particles
from the Sun strike the Earth's magnetic field, produce the eerie glow of
the aurora borealis and the aurora australis that fill the Hayden dome.
Cosmic Collisions will also show the creation of our Moon some five billion
years ago when a wandering planetoid struck Earth; the violent meeting of
two stars at the edge of the galaxy; and the future collision of our Milky
Way galaxy with our closest neighbor, the Andromeda spiral galaxy, a cosmic
crash that will produce a new giant elliptical galaxy billions of years from
now.

Audiences will feel the ground shake beneath them as they experience a
thrilling recreation of the meteorite impact that hastened the end of the
Age of Dinosaurs 65 million years ago and cleared the way for mammals like
us to thrive. Another dramatic sequence highlights a frightening future
scenario where humanity desperately attempts to divert the path of an
oncoming "doomsday" asteroid headed on a collision course with Earth.
Space Show times are as follows:

Every half hour, 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. except Wednesdays (first show on
Wednesday begins at 11:00 a.m.)
First Friday of every month 10:30 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
Hours are subject to change.