[meteorite-list] AL HAGGOUNIA 001 ("NOT" AUBRITE)

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:26:59 +0100

Hi Philippe et al,

I see no reason for bringing commotion or even personal aspects in the
debate as substantion, why one classification should be preferred to others.
It is simple - scientists got differing results or drew different
conclusions from their results or maybe analysed different
samples/lithologies from that find.
Only as an example, here an abstract from some also very experienced
classificators, who initially classified a part of that material as aubrite,
but found later strong evidence (e.g. chondrules) that it was an enstatite
chondrite and therefore they revised the original classification and
additionally suspected the stuff to be paired with others from that find,
which they had classified as E-chondrites before.
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2006AGUFM.P51E1247K

That's a totally normal process. New finds&facts lead to new results.

Therefore I'd think a discussion with the argumentation, my Mommy cooks
better than your Mommy, or as it happened to ask an apology because other
scientists came to a different result analysing one's material than others,
is pointless, because it won't change the physical properties of the stone.
Neither is science a democratic affair, facts stay facts.
So if e.g. that stuff will turn out to have chondrules, than it doesn't help
to ignore that result and simply to raise the finger in an acclamation and
to declare it to be an aubrite.

Anyway, we are simple laymen, so we can sit back and wait. Only thing we
need is some patience until the case will be cleared
- and I'm very confident, that this will happen, on the one hand aubrites
are a very rare type, therefore of a scientific importance, on the other
hand this particular meteorite is one of the very largest finds in history.
So let's wait until the scientist, who worked on it, will bring together all
their results to discuss that tricky case... and until their final result
will be published.

The only problem I see, is a minor one, cause it's nonscientifical
and only concerns the dealer: How to price the material meanwhile?
Should he maintain his low price as it would be an old E-type,
should he raise the price, because some say it's an aubrite.
and if so, should he later, if the consensus will be, that it's no aubrite,
refund his clients or should he disclaim then any responsibility?
(What if he finds chondrules in his stone?).

I'm quite glad, that we aren't in that dilemma, because we haven't any for
sale. (I guess, if we had, we would decide either to remove it from sale
until science comes to a final decision or we would continue to price it at
the established low level of the old, extremely weathered E-chondrite).

Just my thoughts, no offense intended.
Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----