[meteorite-list] AL HAGGOUNIA 001 ("NOT" AUBRITE)

From: mexicodoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:08:14 -0600

Mike wrote:

"... chondrules in most pieces ...
if some ... chondules ... then it is a chondrite,
if ... a chondrite, it cannot be an Aubrite."

Dr. Grossman posted that the aubrite classification, or the E-chondrite
classification, like all classifications in the Bulletin, is not peer
reviewed literature. It is simply a preliminary naming register with
unreviewed conclusions of individual professionals. If Mike's logic is ok,
and these are chondrules with scientific precision, it is still incomplete
should this be a brecciated fall.

"... garbage, since it is millions of years old."
Dr. Jambon's abstract seems to disagree with the age, i.e., despite prior
claims, this is not a "fossil" (or any equivalent sexy term) meteorite
because it is basically scattered about, including on the surface, and not
from any sediment. That would make it simply a meteorite sensitive to
weathering, that is just about completely weathered. Those are their
conclusions.

Martin asked about the value.
Commercial value is determined by Supply distribution vs. demand. Three
tons (as postred by Phillipe) will keep the commercial value, if any,
reasonable. Scientific value beyond mapping the strewn field, seems to be
rather challenging.

Greg indicated that the pairings in these aubrite/EL classifications were
fairly certain. His question is more ethical - can classifying scientists
ignore information about a fall when provided? To answer this, we would
need to see what was presented by whom and to whom, and when. Also, we
would need to ask whether material with an NWA number should be mixed with
material with a place name and field research and proper coordinates are
registered - and the nuances related to that.

These are the conclusions I can manage from this discussion. So we are back
to Jeff's comment. It has still not been peer reviewed. Shucks, I guess
that's life,

Best wishes,
Doug