[meteorite-list] To AUB or not to AUB - To EL or not to EL - To be or not to be

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2007 22:37:48 UT

Hello Al Haggounians,

Whatever we interpret into or out of our "paleochondritic" material,
for me it all boils down to what Jeff Grossman wrote - namely that
we will have to wait and see what the formal literature brings!

I've been looking at my two small slices over and over again tonight at
different magnifications (8x, 16x, 32x). Of course, like all the others,
I just can't resist guessing what it might be - so my guess is that it not
what a "typical" brecciated aubrite like Pena Blanca or Cumberland Falls
looks like.

It's much more "microcrystalline" and reminds me of my NWA 4413 slice (an L6
chondrite) with regard to the tint of the blue "variety" and also because of the
highly "microcrystalline" texture.

If it is chondritic, I would assume it is an EL6, if it is aubritic I would expect
something like AUB-ANOM.

This guessing game is fun but it will be even more fun when we finally get to know
what this oddball really is and how far we (me and all the others) were off the mark.

Moreover, let's remember that enstatite chondrites and aubrites are "relatives",
relatively speaking ... that is ;-)

Bernd