[meteorite-list] from Kevin Kichinka

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 00:08:57 -0700

This is from Kevin:
--
Buenes noches mi amigos y amigas:
At this moment, I wonder if we aren't witnessing events surrounding
the 21st century's first historic meteorite. There are elements of
this fall common with meteorites seen to fall in the 18th century.
- A fireball was seen with explosions and smoke trail.
- People claim to be harmed by vapors associated with pieces of the fall.
- Scientists present suspect reports. One apparently identifies a
"chondritic-type pallasite".
- A small water-filled depression is represented as a meteorite
"crater" although as yet no authenticated meteorites have been
recovered.
- The town of Guarina, 25 kilometers from the "crater" has more
physical damage than Desaguadero, ten kilometers from the "crater."
- After two weeks, although "kilos of meteorites" have been found and
purchased, none has been authenticated or offered for sale.
Gonzalo Periera of the San Andres University of La Paz, Bolivia
reports from the site that he has not seen Mike Farmer and Robert
Ward.
He writes, "We knew of one American crater visitor, his name is Ronald
Gregory, a geologist from a University? (Sorry but in this moment I
don't remember the name of this University). He was researching the
last July 26, a fireball event in Arequipa, Peru. And then came to
Huanucollo, he said us that he doesn't believe return so he need to
buy some specimens to his University. The other American meteorite
hunter was a young man, every time far of the people, the peasants
said me that this "gringo" came from USA and he spent two days living
in the house of one of the
peasants, finally he began to buy meteorites."
Gonzalo goes on,
"The town of Desaguadero is about 10 kilometers from the crater, and
they hear only a big explosion. But the town of Guarina is about 25
kilometers and in this town the glass of the windows was fractured by
the explosion.
About a strong smell, the most of the people say that the odor looks like a
sulfur.
About the people who were sick, we talked with the medicals of
Desaguadero, they said that the media from Lima, inflated the number
of sick, I believe that this is
psychological:
- Peru was a earthquake weeks ago and all the people is stressing.
- The Police Major of Desaguadero, made him scared about the dangerous
material that the peasant had collected. Then he obligated the peasant
to give
him all this material, then he spent 8 days of vacation because "he was
sick"
To me is the first time that I saw a structure like this, the walls of the
crater was painted with a grey color, if you put in this color your magnet,
all was iron, Today this iron dust is in the hands of the campesinos and
they are selling by kilogram. About the analysis, I have some doubts, too."
Ronald, if you are reading this, please offer an opinion on the type
of meteorite you presumably have collected or purchased.
Kevin Kichinka
Tambor de Alajuela, Costa Rica