[meteorite-list] Carancas

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 09:40:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all -

Some topics:

1) The Soviet Union manufactured nuclear powered
reconnaissance satellites. One fell in Canada some
years back. I don't know where the cores from the rest
are now - sorry, stroke. As Carancas is clearly not
one of these, perhaps sulfuric acid fumes account for
the illnesses.

2) Scaling laws are a poorly defined and for the most
part classified. Digging out a good publicly
available scaling law for my book "Man and Impact in
the Americas" was tough, and I still don't know if I
applied it correctly. The numbers I gave for impacts
during man's evolution should be ball park accurate.
Sterling, they're in the book. I wish I had been able
to check them with you before publication. Sorry,
stroke, you know.

3) I may not have the sequence right here, but it
appears that the police seized what fragments they
could from the people who had illegally collected
them from the land owner's land. The money the police
received from Mr. Farmer should go to the land owner,
unless the fragments were collected elsewhere, or the
collectors had permission to hunt. I believe that is
how the law has evolved here, but I may be mistaken.

4) It strikes me that the appropriate course for Mike
now would be to enlist the local people to try and
recover those "impossible" fragments from along the
flight path.

5) Governmental institutions is Peru move as slowly as
those elsewhere. It would appear that the recovery
will have to be a local effort, involving the mayor
and the local people. Remember to dig a pit latrine
nearby.

6) According to oral tradition, the area
(specifically, on the road to Cuzco) was hit by
fragments of Comet Encke around 580 CE, leading to the
collapse of the Pukara (Man and Impact in the
Americas, pages 224-226). Given the cometary source, I
doubt if any fragments remain in the field there, but
who knows?

Of course, we'll all be entertained over the coming
weeks by accounts from the field of how events
progress.

good hunting,
E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas