[meteorite-list] Question about shock veins...?

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 15:48:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- ensoramanda <ensoramanda at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> My question is...Could it be possible that the shock
> veins were produced
> as a direct result of the hypervelocity impact or is
> that not
> possible....are they much more likely to be formed
> in space during
> asteroid impacts.

O. Richard Norton's book Encyclopedia of Meteorites
describes shock and the pressures required to create
the effects seen.
I am pretty sure that the effects seen inside
meteorites are due to the asteroidal impacts and are
in fact ancient relics, not features of their impact
with earth.
Sterling is indeed a magnificent source of information
in this regard, without whom, this list would be
mostly a tiresome stream of rantings and adverts. Long
may he stay here and enlighten us.
I am sure he will be able to tell you catagorically
rather than the vague hunch from numbers I think I
have seen in the past (some from Sterling and almost
certainly remembered incorrectly)
I envision him sitting late of evenings with a pad and
pencil with a calculator just trying to solve our
problems. All right, I admit, I'm really in awe of the
fact that his maths is good enough to be able to do
it.

Great question Endorsorama. Not one I'd have
considered.

Rob McC

(wow a metlist post that compliments people! rarer
than olivine dioginite)