[meteorite-list] Peru going nuts, police being investigated.

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 17:00:32 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.andina.com.pe/NoticiaDetalle.aspx?id=144455

Above is the newest article that came out today in
Peru, and I just did nother one hour interview with
another news firm in Peru. I guess they should think
again before threatening and robbing people like me. I
fight back.

Here is the translation of the article.
Investigation ordered of police accused of selling the
meteorite which fell in Puno

Lima, October 5th.
Congressman Yonhy Lescano today asked the Minister of
the Interior, Luis Alva Castro, to investigate the
Desaguadero (Puno state) police department who were
denounced forthe supposed sale of fragments of the
meteorite which fell in the middle of September in the
community of Carancas, and if proving their
participation, removing them from National police
service.

The charges that the American, Michael Farmer accused
the policemen of are grave. He told the Andina news
agency that he bought various fragments of the
celestial body from the police, and later they
extorted money from him in exchange for allowing him
to leave Puno.

He also asserted that another citizen of that country
paid the local police two thousand dollars for a four
kilo fragment.

Furthermore, the guy known as the "Meteorite Hunter"
said that more than 30 kilos of meteorite pieces had
been sold.

Lescano added that the President of the Geophysics
Institute of Peru (IGP) Ronald Woodman, also raised
the accusations by revealing that both the police and
farmers in the area impeded scientific studies of the
zone.

"The situation is grave and a fire has sparked, that
involves members of the National Police, the town of
Desaguadero, and representatives of the indigineous
community, some with the intention of trafficking the
fragments of this celectial body, that more than
commercial value, has incalculable scientific value"
he said.

The legislator proposed to the chief, in coordination
with the IGP, to extract the meteorite, and move it to
a safe place to facilitate it's study, prevent it's
sale, and to exploit the zone both for science and
tourism to benefit the local population.

"As for the Minister of the Interior, he said he would
give all assistance so that the scientists can
complete their work and do a good job".

On the other hand, Lescano carried on a conversation
with Maximiliano Trujillo, president of the farming
community of Carancas, who promised to support the
work of the scientists and convert the site to a
tourist attraction.'

END

WOW, it took me to go there to get them to begin to
move, we will see how much longer it takes to dig out
what is left of the meteorite, finally!

Michael Farmer