[meteorite-list] A Shawnee tradition of the Holocene Start Impacts

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 09:21:35 -0700 (PDT)

Dirk wrote:

List and Ed,

>Continuing discussion follows EPG`s final question.
"E.P. Grondine" <epgrondine at yahoo.com> wrote:"...

"Do you really want to stand by such a display of a
lack of intelligence and sense, or do you wish to
reconsider that statement?"

>Yes, I stand by my statements of fact.

They were no statements of fact, Dirk.

You made assertions concerning Native American
traditions which were both factually incorrect, as
well as displayed an amazing ignorance of the field of
anthropology. You compared millenium old traditions
with a 175 year old forgery.

>And yes, you finally admitted that your facts are
indeed "your" belief, thus not science.

And how did you get that? My facts are one thing, my
beliefs another.

I gave the allegories of several Native American
religions in "Man and Impact in the Americas", as well
as giving their oral histories there - and mainly I
gave their histories. Those are "facts" about those
peoples in and of themselves.

By the way, the Maya had written writing, and made
contemporaneous records of events.

What I "believe" is something else. I think that there
are Christians who are scientists, Jews who are
scientists, Moslems who are scientists, Budhists who
are scientists. Can't one hold a Native American
belief system and be a scientist? Or can science only
practiced by atheists and English Deists?

Or perhaps history and anthropology are not sciences?

>Belief posed as fact or science is poor scholarship,
>as your book and excerpts clearly display.

So is misrepresenting someone else's work, and
misrepresenting their use of materials.

>Also, lack of any primary research (nothing remotely
demonstrating proof of any Holocene impact)

Except for the sudden population losses and cultural
discontinuities...

But then displays of physical evidence are often
invisible to some people. So watch the National
Geographic Channel program on TV.

As a final point, the day after my final warning to
Darryl on Williamette, I ran into a gentleman whose
uncle had bulldozed a mound. Three days later he was
found dead of heart attack drooped over a toilet into
which he had been vomiting "stuff that looked like
s***".

While that's a fact, it is only my belief that no good
will come to Darryl or anyone from dealing Williamette
- if he or anyone else wants to join the dataset, go
on ahead. Beyond this warning, like the others, I will
simply look on in "dismay".

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas