[meteorite-list] Carancas, Peru Meteorite Could Be 10 Tons

From: Francis Graham <francisgraham_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:32:27 -0700 (PDT)

--- Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Matteo, they have no plans to recover the meteorite.
> It sits, today one month and one day under sewage
> water. What do you think a fragile high-metal
> meteorite will look like after that?

  Whew. At least it wasn't a 4.2 billion year old
Martian! Perhaps a study might be done on the
deterioration of a pallaside meteorite in tropical
conditions. Seriously. It would let us know what can
be expected to be found how long after falls. It's
making the best of a deplorable situation, but that's
a possible use of the buried mass.

> It is surely one of the most corrupt places
> I have been, sad to say.

  I'm sure it was a very bad experience! Please know
Peru hasn't got the corner market for police
corruption. Unfortunately, it's abundant! Why, just
last week our sheriff was found drunk, driving, and
they had reason to also give him a urine test. The
story was stifled until today. See
http://reviewonline.com/news/articles.asp?articleID=10493
    On the subject of impact sites, the lakes of
hydrocarbons on Titan that have been discovered do not
appear to be circular impact basins converted to lakes
as in the case of lakebeds on Mars. Therefore there is
some sort of tectonic activity there. Otherwise too
the streams would be very sinuous and the landsape
would be a peneplain, which it is not.
  If you mix hydrocarbons and water-ice in a slurry
and melt and refreeze, under the right conditions you
can get acicular needle shaped crystals of ice that
grow dendritic patterns.
  They look like little Christmas Trees. Although
Huygens didn't see any, the conditions may exist for
their formation, and this is what would pass for
"foliage" on cold, cryogenic Titan. It should be
looked for. They would be evidence of recent
subsurface heating.

Francis Graham