[meteorite-list] Carancas: Forwarded mail from Bob King

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:53:55 -0400

On 22 Oct 2007 15:18:03 UT, you wrote:

>here is what I see: The slickensides are real and I don't think I've ever seen
>anything quite like them. They're black and look like crust but their laminar
>appearance suggests either slickensides or some kind of two-dimensional
>"shock sheath." It's as if you took a shock vein and spread it out across a
>surface. On the other hand, the crust has the appearance of being cleaved so
>maybe it really is slickensides. In addition there are a number of fine black
>shock veins threading the matrix.

I'm wondering if maybe the "slickensides" and the "shock veins" might be the
same thing? Just that the fragments broke along some of them, but not along
others? So that if you managed to clean the material away from one of the
"shock veins" inside, you might have another of the black "plnes".

Here's an experiment-- get your hands on one of the rumored 1 kilo plus pieces.
Slam it down, hard, on concrete. See if it fractures along the "shock veins".
(I don't hold out much hope that this experiment will be conducted).