[meteorite-list] Moroccan Influence or Pairings

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:08:40 -0000

Hi Dirk and List,

A lot of the pairing problems originate directly from the Moroccan dealers.
Case in point, the Martian material paired to NWA 2975. They distributed the
material inmasse during the Ensisheim Show to a lot of people. If the
original Moroccan dealers (Aziz Habibi and Mohamed Sabai) waited and
submitted a full type sample, received an NWA number, then the could have
offered it under a single correct number.

Another example of which I am directly aware of is a 5 or 6 kilo single
stone ureilite I received a sample from, had analyzed, and then personally
saw while in Morocco last year. I was not interested in it due to price and
let it go. Next time I saw it again was at the Tucson Show where it had been
smashed into a half dozen pieces by a Moroccan and offered to several US
dealers/collectors. That stone was a beautifully clean and shaped ureilite,
what a waste!

The more the Moroccans get involved in direct sales to collectors, I feel
they need to abide by the NomCom rules and moral high standards of what
meteorite science and collecting is all about. Unfortunately, most Moroccans
consider these "stones" as a meal ticket. In some cases, like the nomads who
actually find them, this is the case, but once they arrive in Morocco's
"dealership row", there are no excuses since they often send samples to us
and some scientists for analysis.

These are a few of my observations, thoughts and complaints of Moroccan
behavior.

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe