[meteorite-list] Suspect Auction

From: David & Kitt Deyarmin <bobadebt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 20:41:32 -0400

I was going to bid on this auction but several things made me think twice
about it

Toluca Whole Meteorite 1600g

Item number: 260153359424

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260153359424&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

The main reason was that he only accepted bank money orders for payment,
which makes you ineligible for ebays buyer protection.

Secondly, this was the only thing he has listed since August of 2006

I also asked him a couple questions and he waited 2 1/2 days (just before
the auction was over) to reply which is ok but some of his answers were rude
and he even told me not to bid on the auction.

I asked him how he knew it was Toluca, since he has never sold any
meteorites and this was his answer

"I was told it was a toluca. However there is the slim chance it is not. I
would rather you not bid then be very disappointed"

I asked if he would use an escrow service and this was his answer

"Bank money orders are my choice. I do not use an escrow service because
buyers abuse it. Take you for instance. You get the meteorite slice it and
for some reason decide you do not like it. You returned it dammaged and no
money is exchanged. I'm out of luck and have no way to ccollect damages.
Again, please do not bid."

At that point I decided it wasn't worth the trouble, even though I really
want a Toluca Sphere for my collection and this piece seemed to be perfect.

The piece sold for a fraction of it's true value and I was wondering if
someone on this list won it?