[meteorite-list] More holocene start impact memories - perhaps

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:35:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all -

There are other (possible) Native American memories of
the ice age impacts which I was not familiar with.
The following comes from Adrienne Mayor:

http://members.aol.com/afmayor/myhomepage/writing.html

and her book is advertised there. If I had a copy of
it I would have citations and could locate the
originals for her extracts:

"In 1762, John Wright of Kentucky talked with several
Shawnee about big skeletons found along the Ohio
River. The Shawnee said the bones belonged to an
immense animal, the "grandfather of all buffalo," and
that they had been hunted by "great men" of the
distant past. But after all those supermen died out,
THE GREAT SPIRIT DESTROYED THE ENORMOUS ANIMALS WITH
LIGHTNING so that they wouldn't harm smaller men of
the present day.

"The Delaware elders told Thomas Jefferson a similar
story, only they claimed that the gigantic animals
were driving away smaller game, like deer and bear.
This angered their god, WHO BLASTED THE MASSIVE
ANIMALS WITH LIGHTNING BOLTS. Only their petrified
remains could be seen today, although it was possible
that some had escaped to the far north. Jefferson
hoped that Lewis and Clark would discover living
specimens of the fossil mammoths so abundant along the
Ohio River."

Don't yell at me: that's all there is (for now).

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas