[meteorite-list] Dean's NWA 4755 diogenite

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 11 Sep 2007 16:10:18 UT

Hello folks,

My 18.3-gram specimen of Dean's NWA 4755 diogenite was in the mailbox
today and I can tell you it is a beauty! Thank you, Dean! Friday, August 31,
I wrote it may be paired with NWA 3143. Now that I can see it in person
beside my piece of NWA 3143, I'm pretty sure these two are paired.

I also wrote that Dean's picture showed an area where beautiful hypersthene
crystals met in triple junction. Now that I have this piece before me, a closer
look through the micoscope reveals that this is one "huge", green hypersthene
crystal measuring 8 mm (!) in widest dimension. It almost looks like it was a
"Tatahouine inclusion."

The Met.Bull. database describes NWA 3143 as having a "translucent"
interior,...something I did not quite understand but my NWA 4755 from
Dean clearly shows this phenomenon: when viewing it from a proper
angle, you see what looks like a thin matte, silvery coating.

BTW, Dean still has some smaller pieces for sale here:

http://www.meteoriteshop.com/metsale/diogenite.html

Best wishes,

Bernd