[meteorite-list] A new market and its apocalyptic pilot

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 23:38:35 -0500

Thaddeus, EP, Listoids,

The List being quiet, let's open an old wound.
That's always fun.

Sir Mortimer Wheeler (famous archeologist) once said:
"Archaeology is not a science; it's a VENDETTA."

Paleoarchaeology of the Americas is 'way past vendetta.
Fidel is a hatchet man, fighting in a war, in the guise of
science. Actually, to call the field a war is understating
the case; it's much, much nastier than a war. "Religious"
conflicts usually are.

Fidel
http://radiocarbon.library.arizona.edu/radiocarbon/GetFileServlet?file=file:///data1/pdf/Radiocarbon/Volume44/Number2/azu_radiocarbon_v44_n2_407_436_v.pdf&type=application/pdf
states:

"If the ocean surface suddenly became colder,
=> thus absorbing less atmospheric carbon, <=
the same process might account for the peculiar
14C increase that accompanies the YD onset."

Unfortunately, as anyone with the experience of having
left your cold soft drink set out and get warm is aware,
cold water holds MORE dissolved CO2 than warm water.
You could find innumerable references to this simple
physical fact in the literature of chemistry, physics, and
climatology for over a century-and-a-half, but all you have
to do is compare the statement to your direct perceptual
experience of reality like any sapient is supposed to do.

Or, THINK about what the Blank you're saying.

Or reading.

In criticising the Monte Verde site, Fidel says:

"Recognizable debitage from lithic flaking -- a practically
universal marker of Stone Age human encampments --
seems, inexplicably, to be absent."

Hardly universal. Many sites have tools but are without
the traces of the manufacture of stone tools, and there
are many sites where nothing else but debitage is found
(quarries, "factories"), and sites where both are present.
It's a null datum.

Maybe, neolithic wives made the neolithic slobs they married
clean up all those sharp nasty flakes and toss them in the river
because the little ones were scratching up the bottoms of
their feet. Maybe, the Monte Verdeans had a factory site at
another location. Maybe, they had knappers in an efficient
division-of-labor arrangement and all the flakes are at the
as-yet-undiscovered knappers camp. Maybe, they traded for
most of their tools because they felt that they were more
productive using them than making them, just as most of
us buy our cars and computers rather than take the time
to build them our own ourselves. [Continue ad infinitum...]

My house is full of hundreds of wood artifacts, all skillfully
worked, with a few quite large ones, all in cherrywood, yet
there is, on the site and in its vicinty, a total absense of sawdust,
the remains of sawn trees, fragments of partially worked
wood, and no tools with which to work wood. Moreover,
a survey of the contemporaneous floral assemblage of the
area shews a total absence of large cherry tree stumps or living
trees. This house is clearly a spurious assemblage and not in
any way representative of the 70y BP era, as has been claimed
on the basis of confused and contradictory evidence and the
vague recollections of the present occupants.

Fiedelian logic triumphs.

#3 through #147

I could make a dozen or a hundred more examples of
this sort of thing, but why bother?

Sterling K. Webb