[meteorite-list] ELE impact cycles

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:16:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all -

I believe that Sterling most recently asserted that
the cycle time for the movement of our solar system
through the plane of our galaxy was 64 million years.

Since the observed chaotic cycle of extinctions runs
about 26 million years, or 52 million years for one
complete pass, I am wondering where the 64 million
year number comes from.

Given this discrepancy, there is a distinct
possibility that one or the other of our dating
mechanisms is seriously flawed.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas