[meteorite-list] Experts Skeptical of Peruvian Meteorite Impact

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:29:08 -0700

Hello All,

This particular bit really makes me wonder about those fellows up at JPL...

>It's not impossible that the crater was left by a meteorite, Yeomans
said, but if so, then the impact object most likely was small, based
on the size of the crater. It would also probably have been a metal
meteorite, because those are the only kind of small meteorites that
don't burn up as they plummet through Earth's atmosphere, he added.
Small stony meteorites rarely make it to the surface.

...Does anyone else find his statement...completely wrong? I mean -
I'm used to such stuff coming out of reporters from god-knows-where,
but from a JPL employee...

Jason