[meteorite-list] Experts Skeptical of Peruvian Meteorite Impact

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:20:00 -0700

> Maybe he meant (or said, and was misreported) that a small crater forming
> event was much more likely to involve an iron parent? That might be a
> reasonable statement.

Given that any given falling meteorite is ~950% more likely to be a
stone than an iron, I don't see this as likely...

With regards to the smaller likelihood of such a small crater being
produced by a stone rather than an iron (Sterling), I would have to
say that without some comparisons as to the relative abundances of
such stony bodies to irons, and without knowing any information such
as entry angle or velocity, not to mention the fact that without such
data, we don't even know what size the body initially was to any
reasonable degree, I would conclude that any such statement would have
had to have been made -very- prematurely.

Jason