[meteorite-list] Latest reported fall in Peru

From: Michael Murray <mmurray_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:09:23 -0600

Hi all,
Sorry, I can't seem to reply to an existing thread for some unknown
reason. My replies all seem to go into a large black hole if I try
to reply to another Lister's email. So, I'll try starting from
scratch on the subject line.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask the List about concerns the reports I
have read from the incident in Peru stating they have recovered some
of the impactor. Were it a stony, would there be pieces of it
laying about the perimeter as a result of the impact (in this case in
particular)? What would be the chances of a small iron fragmenting
upon impact and spreading pieces of itself about the rim? My guess
is that the object hit going fairly slow. The target soil appears to
be quite moist. Could the material they recovered been simply
accompanying the larger piece? I guess I was just surprised that
they come up with some of the impactor so quickly. Nice crater though.

Mike in CO