[meteorite-list] Experts Skeptical of Peruvian Meteorite Impact

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:17:18 -0500

Hi, Jason, List

> relative abundances of such stony bodies to irons...

    Remember that the relative abundances usually cited
are from "fall" statistics (or combined fall and find statistics),
which means they're derived from those meteorites that
make it to the ground without making a crater. That's
a different dynamic population than the crater-forming
objects.

    Before objects encounter the atmosphere, the ratio
of stones to irons is even greater than in the "fall" statistics,
as stones get dusted in complete fragmentation in greater
numbers than irons. The ratio of stones to irons is much
less in "finds" than in "falls" because of irons' greater
durability. And if we had the data on small crater-forming
objects, the percentage of irons would be much higher
still.

    All these variations are difficult to quantify. Anybody
knew if there are any studies that try? Hardest of all to
determine would be the "space" abundances before
encounter with the Earth.

    As for the Peruvian Crater so far, nothing adds up.
It is exceedingly foolish for experts far away with zero
data and conflicting press reports to hypothesize on
its reality. I guess those reporters can really get to you.
It's going to be a while before it gets sorted out. Until we
know the story, try not to breathe any of the radioactive
sulfurous gas from the boiling liquid in the bottom of
your craters...

Sterling K. Webb