[meteorite-list] Experts Skeptical of Peruvian Meteorite Impact

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:23:52 -0700 (PDT)

> Why would someone from JPL be interviewed about meteorites? I respect Ron
> Baalke, who I believe is a software engineer and probably knows more about
> meteorites then anyone , but JPL has nothing to do with meteorites. They
> are tasked with the responsibility of planning and administering solar
> system exploration via robotic missions.
> Maybe I am wrong. Is there a group at JPL/Caltech who studies meteorites?
> Ron?

I've been interviewed about meteorites before. Often times, when the
press contacts JPL on anything meteorite-related, they get referred to me.
I haven't though talked to any reporters regarding Peru.
JPL is primarily engineering-based, building unmanned spacecraft that
are sent to various places in the Solar System. There are about
5,200 people at JPL. There is a science section at JPL, which numbers
about 150 people, and some of those scientists have done meteorite research.

Ron Baalke