[meteorite-list] La Mancha meteorite hunt.

From: Michael Farmer <meteoriteguy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:02:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone, I have been a little quiet lately as I
was in Spain, hunting the La Mancha Eucrite with
Moritz Karl, Bob Haag, and Robert Ward.
It was an extremely successful hunt, we recovered 32
stones in 8 days of hunting, with a total weight of
just over 100 grams. Not much weight wise, but what
these meteorites lack in heft, they make up for in
sheer beauty. I found 10 stones myself for a total of
38 grams. La Mancha is without a doubt, the most
beautiful meteorite I have ever had the pleasure of
finding. Every stone seems to have flow lines, sharp
needles in the fusion crust, rollover lipping, and the
blackest, most glossy fusion crust I have ever seen.
The only equivilant meteorites with crust like that
that comes to mind are Juvinas, Serra de Mage, and
Stannern. The total know weight of the meteorite is
still well under 400 grams, so not hardly anything for
collectors. I will not sell any of my stones, they are
too beautiful and I wont hold my breath till the next
one falls like that, it may be centuries.
I may have time to post some photos, but not sure, I
am really busy here and not looking to slow down for
at least another month.
Sadly 90% or more of the strewnfield has been
destroyed, it seems that they love to plow the rocks
every day in Spain. What a terrible loss of those
meteorites.
Michael Farmer