[meteorite-list] Star Party and Meteorites

From: Walter Branch <waltbranch_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 07:47:39 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I had a great time Friday night. I was invited by my neighbor, a colonial
in the US Army, to bring my telescope to a boy scout campout at the National
Guard Armory last Friday night. I brought my daughter's 6 inch dob mounted
reflector, since it is the only one a can lift at present. In spite of
terrible viewing conditions, we had a lot of fun.

The sky was incredibly hazy and humid and from our location (midtown) only
the Moon and Jupiter were visible. The Moon was rising in the East and
Jupiter was setting in the Southwest. Both were only a little above the
horizon, terribly placed for viewing.

The kids and parents did not mind at all. They loved the views. As each
finished their "run" at the eyepiece my daughter and I handed out a small
unclassified NWA meteorite to each observer. I was very proud of my 8 year
old as she calmly explained that the meteorite was over 4 billion years old
and was from the Asteroid belt!

She also knows that there are 88 constellations, blue-white stars are the
hottest and red the coolest, Polaris is the North Star, etc. Yes, I am
teaching her the important things in life :-)

We gave away over 50 meteorites that night then we ran out of them :-(

Anytime you can combine a star party with meteorite handouts, you have a
winner and a great time.

Just remember to bring along a flashlight. One or two kids will drop theirs
and then you will have to go looking for it.

-Walter Branch