[meteorite-list] Sardis Iron Corrected

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 21:00:49 -0700 (PDT)

I am seeking information on the location of the Sardis Iron(GA, USA)
recovered masses and location of the find site. Also the terrestrial
age?

Sardis is bleak in the online literature but it is recorded in the BM's
Catalog of Meteorites. The mass rested in Miocene clays(23.03-5.33
mybp). Identified in 1940. I recall reading that while some iron
core(s) were recovered,(800kg), a large amount of shale was left in the
bank. The "main mass(s)" location now is unclear.

Find location listed as 32? 56' 56" N / 81? 51' 54" W
Sardis, Georgia is SSE of Augusta and Waynesboro near the SC state
line.

I plan to call the local Chamber of Commerce/Library to see if anyone
remembers anything about it, but would liked to be armed with a bit
more info.

Has anyone ever visited the site/found anything?

Regards,
Elton