[meteorite-list] Crow for April 1st. Mesosiderites.. was Suspect Auction

From: Mr EMan <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 02:13:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Jason, list,
While I was reviewing the meager photo of the candidate Bulgarian
specimen more objectively with reading glasses this time, I can agree
more with your assessment. I also had a chance to refresh my memory on
mesos. Now I remember Dong-Ujim Qin and it is very slag looking;
certainly most unmeteorite-like. Were it not witnessed it would easily
dismissed as as slag--Probably in the top two, the other being a brown
frothy crusted lunar whose designation escapes me.

While clasts of shattered olivine crystals have been found in
mesosiderites, I'd not seen reports of large, euhedral, olivine
crystals surviving intact; the opaque appearance and unusual color for
the apparent crystal are not typical occurrences of olivine. What I
mistook for slag coated cinders in the suspect are possibly metallic
nodules which themselves may have a crystalline appearance. These
mesosiderites appear to to be the howardites of the interiors of the
parent body;they have a mix of material that represents most acondrite
material and even a pallasite. The mixing of materials in the
Meso-parent body (some suggest one of the Vesta clan) was extensive.

What is also intriguing here is how such unconsolidated-looking
material, so riddled with voids and fractures, survived entry so
intact.

Agreed that only a lab could positively confirm what we are surmising
about a single photo--but this is, after all, ebay and the newbie
seller did not opt to do so before posting a minimal description.

That said, it was remiss of me to have jumped on the "another
meteorwrong" wagon and being paranoid about April Fools jokes. The
joke is on me. You made very good and reasoned arguments and I was
casual and flip, Sorry. It still is one ugly hunk only a meteorite
lover could love. I also had an opportunity tonight to look up crow
recipes and have settled on "braised rook".

Thank Goodness April 1st only comes once a year. Thank you for keeping
it real.
Regards,
Elton