[meteorite-list] Do Meteoroids "Skip"?

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 10:19:57 -0600

Hi Bernd-

There are two kinds of skips under discussion here. The Grand Teton
fireball you mention is the typical type. I've recorded these on my
cameras (nowhere near as large, of course!) They are easily understood,
and require only a combination of a very shallow entry and enough mass
to survive the trip.

The other type, much rarer (and maybe not even real, but simulated by
other effects?) is what Anita discusses: a meteor that shows a
fragmented path because it actually skips out of the denser atmosphere
enough to stop burning, and then drops back in again- like skipping a
stone on a pond. I've got a few images on my cameras that appear to show
something like that happening, but the multistation data isn't good
enough to be absolutely certain.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory